Synonyms for Niche
How do we Pronounce Niche? Is it \NEESH\ and \NICH\?
- There is a debate about how we are supposed to pronounce Niche. There are two common pronunciation variants, both present and considered correct: \NEESH\ (rhymes with sheesh) and \NICH\ (rhymes with pitch).
- \NICH\ is the extra common one and the older of the two pronunciations. Its only pronunciation agrees for the word in all English dictionaries until the 20th century.
- When \NEESH\ it was first listed as a pronunciation variant in Daniel Jones’s English Pronouncing Dictionary (1917).
- \NEESH\ situated as a pronunciation in our dictionaries until our 1961 Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged.
- And it situated entered into our smaller Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary until 1993.
- Even then, it marked in the Collegiate as a pronunciation that was in educated use but not considered acceptable until 2003.
- All it is to say that the historical pronunciation remains \NICH\ and that \NEESH\ is the relative newcomer that came about likely under the influence of French pronunciation conventions.
- At this point in the U.S., \NICH\ is still the supplementary standard pronunciation. Also, but \NEESH\ fast ground. And, our evidence suggests that in British English, \NEESH\ now the different standard accent.
What are the Examples of Niche in the Sentence?
- To succeed in this new world, we take to sell ourselves. We go to the brand-name college, not to imbibe the wisdom of its professors.
- Synonyms for niche but to make impressions and connections. We pick a niche that can bring attention to ourselves and then develop our public relations efforts to let the world see who we are.
- And alan Wolfe, new york times book review, 7 Jan 2001. The ivory-billed woodpecker, the wan ghost of southern woodlands. It is flying forth from its Niche in extinction.
2. Recent Examples on the Web: Noun
- The optimal Niche for human life eventually moves beyond the U.S. and Europe, toward the pole, and people will move with it.
- And the companies getting attention from Wall Street are notable how Niche the operations are New York Times, “Critical to Vaccines, Cold Storage Wall Street’s Shiny New Thing,” 15 Dec 2020.